Scratch National Finals 2020
Congratulations to all our participants in the very first virtual Scratch National Final.
The Scratch National Competition is a key initiative in the ICS outreach calendar, and this year 520 projects were entered in the competition, ranging in categories from Junior Infants up to 6th Year, with both in and out of school categories.
The day began with the Judges, who very kindly gave up their time, meeting with the students (virtually) to discuss their projects. After that the hard job of deliberation of awards was made.
In the interim the participants had a keynote talk from Dr. Amin Anjomshoaa, a senior researcher with Lero and Marie Curie Fellow at National University of Ireland Galway on ‘Why data has become vital as never before?’. This was a fascinating interactive talk to all as it explained how sensors can obtain data and how this can be used for good, for example data collection of sewage systems can monitor Covid-19 levels in geographical areas of cities.
Feedback from Judges and our Chair of Judges Clare McInerney, Lero, was amazing, they were truly impressed by the projects on view today.
- Best Animation Award – Templeformer from Gaelscoil an Ghoirt Alainn, Cork
- Best Technical Sophistication Award – Micro:pong from Colaiste Chiarain, Limerick
- Best Educational Content Award – ADayInALife from St Vincents Secondary School, Dundalk
- Best Social Project Award – Hospital Holly and Henry microbit edition
from Cloghans Hill National School, Galway
- Special Scratch Award – Dominicks Supermangame from Cloghans Hill National School, Galway
Age Category Winners
- Junior Infants to 1st Class Winner – The Rubbish Sorter from CoderDojo Kinvara
- 2nd to 4th Class School Category Winner – Autistically Awesome from
St. Patrick’s Primary School
- 2nd to 4th Class After School Category Winner – Be A Climat Superhero! from CoderDojo Kinvara
- 5th to 6th Class School Category Winner – Blockbusters from St. Mary’s & St. Gerard’s N.S
- 5th to 6th Class After School Category Winner – Zombie Attack from CoderDojo Malahide
- 1st – 3rd Year School Category Winner – Don’t Fall Off from Kinsale Community School
- 1st – 3rd Year After School Category Winner – Dodge the balls game from St. Joseph’s Secondary School
- 4th – 6th Year Category Winner – Countdown Game from Scoil Mhuire Strokestown
Overall Winner 2020….
Real Drone Project from Confey College
Congratulations to all our winners and indeed all our 34 projects who made it through the ranks to make it to the National Finals.