Scratch National Final – Winners Announced
Congratulations to all our participants in the National Final of the Scratch Competition 2021.
The Scratch National Competition is a key initiative in the ICS outreach calendar. In an unusual year for students we were delighted to have 215 projects entered in the competition, ranging in categories from Junior Infants up to 6th Year, with both in and out of school categories.
Congratulations once again to everyone who has successfully submitted their entries, regardless of the result, you all did an amazing job!
The day began with the Judges, who very kindly gave up their time, meeting with the students (virtually) to discuss their projects. After that the hard job of deliberation of awards was made.
After lunch we came back to an interactive workshop with Chris Exton “From little things, big things grow” a senior lecturer in the department of Computer Science and Information Systems at University of Limerick and a member of Lero – the Science Foundation Ireland Research Centre for Software. Chris introduced all to Blockpy as a step for those who want to move on from Scratch.
Feedback from Judges and our Chair of Judges Clare McInerney, Lero, was amazing, they felt the projects on view today were polished and very impressive.
Overall Winner 2021….
Help our Planet, Save yourself from Creagh College School, Gorey, Co. Wexford!!
Age Category Winners
- Junior Infants to 1st Class Winner – Boing boing from High Tech Training, Virginia, Co. Cavan
- 2nd to 4th Class School Category Winner – WindowsXP Simulator from
Scoil Raifteiri, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
- 2nd to 4th Class After School Category Winner – Dot’s Adventure Outer Space! – A Platformer from Homeschool, Co. Dublin
- 5th to 6th Class School Category Winner – Nuts Nanny from
Scoil Mhuire GNS, Lucan, Co. Dublin
- 5th to 6th Class After School Category Winner – Play your part, Cloghans Hill Coder Dojo, Tuam, Co. Galway
- 1st – 3rd Year School Category Winner – Scratch: Story Mode from St. Josephs College, Lucan, Co. Dublin
- 1st – 3rd Year After School Category Winner – Defeat the Pandemic from Homeschool, Co. Dublin
- 4th – 6th Year Category Winner – 3D Citizen from
Colaiste Muire, Crosshaven, Co. Cork
- Best Animation Award – Lastreet from Le Cheile Secondary School, Tyrellstown, Co. Dublin
- Best Technical Sophistication Award – Spaceship Battles 3 from
Ennistymon CBS, Co. Clare
- Best Educational Content Award – Crossy Road from Confey College, Leixlip, Co. Kildare
- Best Social Project Award – Escape Covid from Presentation PS, Portarlington, Co. Laois
- Highly Commended – Mysterious Escape from Bandon Coderdojo
Congratulations to all our winners and indeed all our 34 projects who made it through the ranks to make it to the National Finals.