Scratch National Final 2019
Wednesday saw a busy day in University of Limerick for the Scratch National Final. The 555 projects were whittled down to 32 projects by 3 rounds of judging and those students and many of their parents and teachers showed up for the finale.
Scratch is a visual programming language that makes it easy for young people to create their own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art – and share their creations on the web. Using Scratch allows students to develop creative and critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills as they work collaboratively or individually on Scratch projects.
Now in its ninth year, the National Scratch Competition has established itself among both teachers and students as a leading platform and showcase for Ireland’s aspiring digital creators. The competition is run by the ICS Foundation, the social enterprise arm of the Irish Computer Society and supported by Lero, the Irish Software Research Centre.
Our list of winners from the day and links to their projects are below:
· Best Animation, Jungle Escape 1.0, Willow Park School, Blackrock, Dublin
· Best Technical Sophistication, Beat Darth Vadar Cloghan Hill NS, Tuam, Co. Galway
· Best Educational Content Around The World St Mary’s and St, Gerards’ N.S. Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow
· Best Social Project – Spare Some Change? Confey College, Leixlip, Co. Kildare
· Special Scratch Awards, Autism Facts. Cloghan Hill NS, Tuam, Co. Galway
· Junior Infants to 1st Class Winnie the Witches Birthday Party, St Johns School, Limerick
· 2nd to 4th Class School category Word Puzzle, Gaelscoil an Ghoirt Alainn, Cork
· 2nd to 4th Class After School category Colman’s Monastery, Coderdojo Kinvara, Co. Clare
· 5th-6th Class School category One Small Step, Robinstown National School, Meath
· 5th-6th Class Afterschool category WaTer gUy-The Game, Coderdojo Clonakilty School, Cork
· 1st year – 3rd Year in School category Maze Runner, Colaiste Mhuire Co. Ed. Thurles, Co. Tipperary
· 1st year – 3rd Year Afterschool category Learn English for Kids, Coderdojo Kinvara, Co. Clare
· Overall Winner…. Magic Wizard, Confey College, Co Kildare
Photos from the day can be downloaded from here.
Many thanks to our Scratch National Competition sponsor Lero and to our Tech Week sponsors AWS (Amazon Web Services) ICS Foundation and SFI (Science Foundation Ireland) who make Tech Week possible.