STUCK AT HOME WITH KIDS?
Check out these online educational resources!
It’s official, schools in Ireland are closed until at least March 29. If your family are hunkered down at home, enforcing social distancing, then keep on reading. We will be sharing on ways you can keep your children amused during this situation.
Certainly, this is a stressful time for everyone, particularly for parents that not only have to work from home but also have to ensure their children are entertained and educated.
Schools have already started stood up to the challenge and are providing remote learning for the coming weeks, and we have a curated guide of free learning resources and activities that you can utilize during this quarantine. Here are some websites and apps that meet the needs of children of all ages.
- As the Department of Education and Skills (DES) official portal for Irish education, Scoilnet has provided a number of online resources for teachers and students that are both free and do not require registration or sign in to be accessed.
- If you are looking for apps that can be used to educate your children, Cool Apps for School has curated over 70 educational apps that can be used at home.
- Get yourself a free resource pack from Twinkl for parents, students and teachers to use during school closures.
- Coding Ireland is offering their step-by-step coding projects for free to use! So, no more excuse for not teaching your children how to code – trust us, it’s a valuable lesson!
- Kennedy Center hosts fun virtual event – Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems to make an art together. Together with your kids, you can draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing. New episodes will be posted daily here at 1:00 p.m. ET.
- Want to learn more about sharks? In Shark Story Hour, a staff member from The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy will read a new shark-themed book each day at 10:00 a.m. ET. (P.S. Q&A available afterwards to answer curious kids’ questions!)
- MIT offers loads of free online resources of enriching and fun at-home activities for parents stuck at home. From elementary to high school, you name it and they will have it!
- Over 100 online learning resources, educational games and podcasts available at WeAreTeachers, and to make it better… it’s free!
- Bamboo works with Amazon’s Alexa to do free, voice-based activities around math, music, social studies, and stories.
As we are gathering more and more resources, we would also like to hear your insights and tips via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; which we will highlight and share to the public. Let’s work together to support learners and each other!